CLASS 2's WEBPAGE!
Welcome to Class Two!
I hope you had a lovely summer and your children are ready and eager to start the new school year. This is going to an exciting year for the children with lots of new topics to explore and new friends to make.
Autumn to Winter
Above - our representatives on the School Council
*Please scroll down to see more photos*
Class teacher: Mrs. Percival
Teaching assistant: Mrs Kelsall
PE: Thursday and Friday afternoons
Miss Newton will teach Music and Topic work on 2 afternoons in Class 2
Class 2 Curriculum Summary Autumn 2018
Our first topic is ‘Good to be me’. We will be learning about ourselves and our friends, our talents and what makes us special.
- Counting up to 100 (Y1) and beyond (Y2)
- Counting in 2s, 5s and 10s
- Finding 1 more or l less (Y1), finding 10 more and 10 less (Y2)
- Understanding place value to 20 (Y1) to 100 (Y2)
- Using + = - symbols (Y1); comparing numbers using < > = symbols (Y2)
- Exploring number bonds to 10 (Y1), to 100 (Y2)
- Adding and subtracting a one digit number to a teen (Y1), to any 2 digit number (Y2)
- Time – days of the week, months of the year (Y1), sequencing intervals of time (Y2) telling time to half hour (Y1), to the quarter hour (Y2)
- Reading and writing texts relating to our topic
- Reading/spelling words with vowel sounds e.g.ai, oa, including alternative spellings (Y2)
- Handwriting – forming letters which start with an anticlockwise movement: c o a d g e f s (Y1) and beginning to join these letters (Y2)
- Grammar & Punctuation Y1 – identifying nouns and verbs, using full stops to demarcate sentences, using capital letters to start sentences and for the pronoun ‘I’, using spaces between words
- Grammar and Punctuation Y2 – identifying adjectives, writing statements and questions, using noun phrases, exclamation marks and question marks, using apostrophe’s for contracted words e.g. I’m, they’re
- Composing sentences aurally prior to writing, rereading sentences to check they make sense and are punctuated correctly
- Recognising animals and their young
- Learning about how humans change as they grow
- Finding out about ways to keep healthy
- Asking questions and collecting data
- Finding out about the lives of Florence Nightingale, Mary Seacole and Edith Cavell
- Using sources of evidence
- Sequencing events in history
Florence Nightingale (1820-1910) Mary Seacole (1805-1881) Edith Cavell (1865-1915)
Personal Social and Health Education (PSHE)
- Recognising what we are good at
- Identifying feelings; proud, worried, scared and excited in self and others
- Finding ways to calm down when upset
Religious Education (RE)
- Introduction to the Bible through characters and stories
- Learning through stories
- Keeping safe in PE, working co-cooperatively with a partner
- Gymnastics – using shape, direction and balance, sequencing movements
- Games – throwing and catching skills, simple competitive games
- Studying portraits and techniques
- Famous artists – Picasso, Klee
- Using different media to complete portraits
Pablo Picasso (1881-1973) Paul Klee (1879-1940)
- Using 2count program to make graphs and pictograms
- Using online activities to support work across the curriculum
- Singing songs, chants and rhymes linked to our topic
- Playing percussion instruments
If you have any questions about the curriculum or your child’s learning, please come and speak to me. I am looking forward to working with the children and making this an enjoyable and successful year.
Thanking you for your support
Dates for your diary for the remainder of the Autumn Term;-
Monday 29th October - School reopens for the 2nd half of the Autumn Term.
Thursday 1st November - GLO DISCO
Wednesday 7th November - Book Fair in school.
Monday 12th November - Anti-Bullying Week. Parent's Evening.
Friday 30th November - Non-uniform Day.
Saturday 1st December - Christmas Fayre (2pm-4pm).
Monday 3rd December - Christmas Penny Post begins.
Wednesday 5th December - KS1 Production (9.15am).
Thursday 6th December - KS1 Production (2.15pm).
Thursday 13th December - Christmas Jumper Day & Christmas Dinner.
Monday 17th December - Classes 1, 2 & 3 party.
Thursday 20th December - End of term - school closes at 2.30pm.